Thursday, April 5, 2012

"MY RESPONSIBILITY IS TO TEACH OTHERS THROUGH MY SUFFERING"
--GRANDMA

Wed, Apr 4
     Cindy and I visited Grandma today.  I know she really looks forward to our visits because she can hardly wait to see what fun surprise we have brought her.  Today it was a Handicap Parking Placard.  SURPRISE!   She hates it.  And I mean really hates it!  But she insisted we take her for a ride just so we could find a handicap parking place to park.
     We stopped for lunch in a little strip mall.  The only handicap parking spot was about 3 stores down from where we wanted to eat.  After lunch, still determined to get some benefit from the ugly thing hanging from the rear view mirror, we went to the bank.  Once again the only handicap parking spot was clear on the other side of the bank, not anywhere near the entrance.
     I am starting to think that Cindy and I should just stick to bringing Grandma flowers...

Mon, Apr 2
     I was able to visit Grandma on Monday and go to her institute class with her.  WOW!!!  The instructor asked Grandma to give the opening prayer.  It was beautiful!  Later, Grandma asked if she could share something with the class that she had learned during General Conference.  This is what she shared:
I was promised in this class last week by Sister Name that if I would prepare myself to listen to conference with ears to hear, I would be told by God through his prophets what I need to know, what I need to do, and what questions I had would be answered.

I was blessed one month ago with knowledge of the last challenge I would have in my life was upon me.

When I was diagnosed March 1st with terminal cancer at stage 4, I had one month to prepare myself for conference.  I don’t think it was by chance that this happened.

I have had many prayers in my behalf said, I have been strengthened by these prayers by many and I went to the conference table hungry and I was fed by prophets of God.

President Eyering taught me the things I needed to do and President Monson taught me that if I do the things I needed to do I would be met by a living Father in Heaven.

I realized I was going home and Father in Heaven would open the front door and let me in.  I didn’t need to be perfect I just needed to repent and do the best I could.  His Son would be there also to meet me and through His atoning sacrifice he had paid their price for me to come home to live in peace and to a fullness of joy.

I have been given the ultimate gift.  I pray for the strength that I can take this gift and pass the test and that is enduring to the end.
Written by Grandma April 2, 2012  at 3AM  the night after Sunday Conference.
     There wasn't a dry eye in the room.  The instructor could barely get a hold of her emotions to continue the lesson.  Afterwards several women handed Grandma notes they had written during class to her.  One woman who had never even met Grandma wrote her a beautiful letter.  It was one of the most profound experiences I have ever witnessed.  

     It has been a busy week for Grandma.  One of the highlights was her visit from Jeremy.  He will be deployed to Afghanistan this month and was given permission to come see Grandma.  
     
Earlier last week, while in Morgan, she was able to stop and see Christy in her new home in Mountain Green.  

Hannah has been writing a beautiful piano piece for Grandma and played if for us.  It was AWESOME!

Ethan also played a beautiful piano piece for Grandma.
He is so talented.

I was able to snap a picture of Amberlee with Grandma, but I never could get Christy's other little boys to sit still long enough...

2 comments:

  1. We love you, Lucille! You are amazing! Darrell and I felt that several speakers in Conference were speaking directly to you! Life isn't easy, but the rewards are greater than the pain! We watched Cristi's darling "Irish Dance Program" the other night. Jill told us Cristi wrote it. We didn't recognize Ray's Megan as the "Wicked Queen" but they all did such a great job! Our prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I'm glad Jeremy got to see Grandma :)

    ReplyDelete